Game 39NL home
Welcome to the Emerald Forest Hotel!
This is the homepage of your simulation in Breda, called 39NL. All of the content is in English as this is an international hotel.
The Game 39NL has just ended!
Congratulations to all the winning teams:
- On Business - Profit The Gaia Forest Hotel € 3,073,000
- On Creativity Emerald Group 8.0
Winning Teams per city:
- On Profit Natural Resort Amstelburg € 2,208,000
- On Creativity Natural Resort Amstelburg 7.1
- On Profit Mister B Amberwood Suites € 2,025,000
- On Creativity The International Aventurine Hotel (TIA) 7.8
- On Profit The Gemstone Hotel € 3,037,000
- On Creativity The Viridian Abundanci 7.8
- On Profit The Gaia Forest Hotel € 3,073,000
- On Creativity The Gaia Forest Hotel 8.0
- On Profit Idyllic Efemada € 1,360,000
- On Creativity The Green Emerald 7.8
- On Profit The Forest Wellness Hotel Geopodo € 2,286,000
- On Creativity Emerald Green Wood Hotel 7.6
- On Profit The Oasis Sanctuary Hotel € 2,509,000
- On Creativity The Royal Deer Hotel 7.3
- On Profit The Green Oasis € 2,438,000
- On Creativity Emerald Group 8.0
- On Profit Suns Rising Hotel € 2,45,000
- On Creativity Grand Hotel the Green Escape 7.9
- On Profit La Palz Forest Hotel € 1,911,000
- On Creativity Hotel La Vida Local 7.8
What is the Game?
You and every member of your team are tasked with the take-over of the Emerald Forest Hotel as the new Management Team. You will manage the hotel, bring improvements to its current operations, and deliver noticeable results when compared to prior years. Last year's performance results and its related decisions will be made available to you. Along with historical data, this will be a point of reference. This becomes the same starting point for all (other) teams.
Your hotel is located in the Netherlands, or anywhere in Europe, in a number of (fictitious) cities. In each city, multiple hotels (in most cases 8 to 10) are located. Your main competitors are the other existing hotels, within your city. CEO Jill Jandal and owner Christina Bergman want you to effectively manage the Emerald Forest Hotel. Your coaches will help you achieve this task; meanwhile, Jill and Christina will be following any developments along the way behind the scenes.
Corona has changed the market
Of course, Corona has highly impacted the situation in hospitality in 2020, and still does. Some changes and situations are temporary, and the industry is likely to recover from that. There will also continue to be a number of structural changes, as a result of the pandemic. A large number of benchmarks and figures are only available for the full year of 2019. Of course, the year 2020 cannot be compared in any way with previous years. Neither will 2021, probably. However, it is precisely in these times, that creativity is needed and there is room for innovation and new initiatives.
As you will have experienced, this Game will run entirely online. Exactly how and where to work and visit online lectures, you will hear from your coaches.
What are the goals?
As the new Management Team, your main task when taking over the hotel, is to do better than your predecessors. The existing timeline and the set dates of the Emerald Forest Hotel offer the possibility to apply sound management skills and built knowledge thus far.
The learning goals entail that you and the team:
- Process and analyse a large amount of data and that you select and apply the right information that will successfully help you running the hotel;
- Work on assignments that will put into practice your developing skills, as so far acquired during the course of your studies;
- Run your own Management Team in a joyful and professional manner;
- Behave as skilled managers: dealing with uncertainties, finding solutions and learning from your own mistakes.
Consequently, you are expected to carry out your managerial duties and deliver the following:
- A set of assignments during the course of the Game;
- Offering a strong and clear substantiation of each of your decisions and actions;
- Living up to the deadlines in a timely and punctual way, while continue acting adequately on new situations and challenges ahead;
- Creating a competitive position and strategy for your hotel.
This platform is your main source where you can find most documentation of the relevant elements of your hotel.
The Game will use the 39NL Emerald Forest Hotel Facebook group as an additional platform to profile your hotel: so join as soon as possible! We also ask each Management Team to delegate one team member to join the WhatsApp group, which supports the process of the Game itself. More on this later on.
Be aware that management has to deal with many uncertainties, and as such you will be confronted with a large amount of information along with many challenges. Managing a hotel may not be as easy as it appears. It is all part of the Game. Your coach(es) will always be your first point of contact, please read the study guide on LMS.
Each team consists of approximately approx. 4-5 students, whom you will be teaming up as the new Management Team. Each city will be guided by its own coach(es). The same structure will be used in MS Teams. You are working with approx. 4 persons in a Management Team. Each city will be guided by its own coach, as much as possible.
|Coach and cities|
|City name||Coach||Class||Team numbers|
|-00- Not in competition - N||Jeroen Vinkesteijn||Mix||N01 to N10|
|-01- Amstelburg - A||Eugenio van Maanen||ITM||A01 to A10|
|-02- Budano - B||Ivar Neelis||ITM||B01 to B10|
|-03- Copenstadt - C||Theo van der Laar||ITM||C01 to C10|
|-04- Dreskovski - D||Joost de Wit||TM||D01 to D09|
|-05- Efemada - E||Eugenio van Maanen||TM||E01 to E09|
|-06- Geopodo - G||Herman Lier||TM||G01 to G09|
|-07- Hadique - H||Ursela van de Noort||TM||H01 to H09|
|-08- Jinanang - J||Joyce Ridderhof||Ad||J01 to J09|
|-09- Kingsglade - K||Remco Wachelder||Ad||K01 to K09|
|-10- La Palz - L||Theo van der Laar||Ad||L01 to L09|
All content related to the simulation is in English. If you are following the TM or Ad track, you can work in your Team File in Dutch, as in all the assignments. Feel free to use either Dutch or English on your social media: that is up to you.
Your business decisions and supporting explanations will have a major impact on the occupancy rate of your hotel and will influence your profit, next to the impact of the pricing you choose and costs your team decides to make. The Game algorithms will process all this information and calculate and provide you with the outcome, and rank your team accordingly in a competition.
The credits for this module will be awarded to you and your team, based on the assignments and the marks obtained during the Game. Needless to say: having your team becoming familiar with all aspects of this hotel will enable you to get a better grip on the Game and help you in bringing the assignments to a good end.
You'll find the timeline and assignments on the page 39NL Assignments and timeline.
→ GO! Top of this page